The Cotton Mill building is one of the oldest structures in the district. Part of a complex built in 1887, the two-story, brick factory produced denim and flannel. In its heyday in the early 20th century, the cotton mill employed more than 300 people.
The Great Depression dealt a blow though, and the mill limped along until it finally shut its doors in 1953. Then, a fire swept through the entire complex in 1995, burning most everything to the ground. But the Cotton Mill building survived.
Now it’s one of the busiest studios in the district, home to 10 artisans and a patisserie.